By Sanjog KR
Your trip to the beach state of Goa is not worth without shopping for the rarest of handicrafts and other local artifacts. The artisans in Goa are expert in designing such unique articles and items with natural elements like coconut shells, sea shells, wood, leaves etc.
Shopping is included in the priorities of the itinerary of every tourist in Goa. The state offers something special to buy to its every guest with varied taste. Bargaining is actually a fun while shopping in Goa. You can bring down the prices and make the purchase a worthwhile experience.
Markets in Goa are loaded with handicrafts, cuisine, spices, cashew nuts, wine and other interesting stuff. Goan markets are a mirror of Goa’s ethnic culture and let you enjoy the best of cosmopolitan culture.
If you are a fashion lover, you must try out the fashion shops located in fabulous old Goan houses. Traditional, modern and beach side outlets are ideal for memorable souvenirs. Panjim, Old Goa, Anjuna Flea Market, Mapusa Friday Market and Night Bazaars are paradise for shopaholics.
Popular things to buy in Goa are:
- Pottery & Terracota (flower garden pots, bowls with floral designs, figures of Gods-Godesses & animals, ashtrays and pen holders etc.)
- Wooden laquerware/Wood turning (cradels, babycarts, toys, corner stands, etc.)
- Crochet & embroidery (table cloths, children and ladies gartments, pillow and cussion covers, linen etc.)
- Bamboo Craft (flower baskets, mats, and letter-holders, pen stands, fans and other decorative items)
- Fibre craft (shopping bags, ladies purses, coasters and wall hangings, etc. made of banana or sisal fibre)
- Jute Macrame craft (decorative bags, belts, wall hanging, lamp shades, flower pots, hangers, etc.)
- Coconut mask carving
- Sea shell craft (ashtrays, lamp shades, coasters, chandeliers, curtains, pot hangers, table mats, clocks, mirror frame, etc.)
These products can be bought at the most reasonable prices from beach side shops or the Government owned as well as private emporias. Goa Rural Handicraft and small Scale Industries Development Corporation (GRHSSIDC) is an authentic institution for these souvenirs. Shopping in Goa is must while on a Goa tour. Go through the Goa travel guide and you will come to know what special does this small state offer to its guests.
Article Source: EzineArticles.com